Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My "Weeds"



Coneflowers in the Morning Sun

Coneflower Bed

Sometimes my neighbor likes to joke about my garden, “It always looks nice because you grow a bunch of weeds!”  I guess that is kind of true.  Over the past eight summers of experimenting, I have discovered that native plants are not only hardy and reliable, but that I actually like them the best!  No fussy orchids or high maintenance roses for me.  Rhododendrons and azaleas keel over when faced with my rock-hard clay soil.  Elephant ears?  Please!  All that work…put’em in, take’em out every single year.  Forgetaboutit!  Give me good, old-fashioned Black-eyed Susans, Purple Coneflowers, Butterfly Weed and Phlox.  My garden is still evolving, but as I plan new beds and dig out old ones, I will be relying more and more on my favorite “go-to” plants: the ones Mother Nature herself would have planted here! 


No comments: