Thursday, September 8, 2011

An Unusual Compliment

Out in the “real world,” I work in the retail environment every day. People from all walks of life approach me regularly, usually just wanting to know where they can find something they are having trouble locating. When I think I can assist them, I try to do just that.

The delicate lace of a spiderweb.
Today, a tidy, well-groomed elderly lady stopped me. She had neat, short but tightly curled gray hair, and though she held her small frame erect, I could see the faint beginnings of a telltale osteoarthritic stoop. She wanted to inquire if I knew where a particular item might be. Luckily, I had a pretty good idea where it might be found, and I walked her over to that department.


The Prairie Sunflower grew to nearly ten feet this year.
She was sincerely grateful and along with her heartfelt “Thank you,” she swept her arm out to indicate the empty basket of her cart and said, “I wish I had something to give you to eat.”

A garden visitor.

My first thought was, wow, what an unusual compliment! But after the dear lady had walked away and I had a chance to reflect upon what she said, I was deeply touched. Think about it: isn’t sharing food – or breaking bread – one of the deepest forms of caring that one human being can offer another? After all, it is this nourishment that maintains life. Feeding a friend, a neighbor or a relative shows them that you are indeed concerned about their well-being, that you love them enough that you wish to “sustain” them.

Friends welcome here.

Thank you for visiting my blog. I wish I had something to give you to eat.

1 comment:

Duffy Moon said...

That's my kind of lady.