Wednesday, November 2, 2011

An Old Dog Learns Something New

It's Outdoor Wednesday!
Please visit A Southern Daydreamer!

After four and a half decades on this planet, I am delighted to discover that my garden can still surprise me.  The weather in Ohio has been peculiar this year - that is to say, it has been completely normal.  You never know what you'll get.  We have a saying that goes roughly like this...

"Don't like the weather?  Wait around a bit.  It'll change." 

Thus it has been in 2011:  crazy wet spring, brutally hot summer, an October when you didn't need the furnace until late in the month. 

And so, in all her inspiration, Mother Nature has provided me with these over the past two weeks:



They are beautiful and strange and somehow frightful all at the same time.  These plants - which are actually mushrooms - resemble a striped carrot coming out of the ground, yet they are hollow on the inside!


A quick Internet search provided the answer.  Commonly known as a Stinkhorn (I didn't get close enough to confirm), Mutinus Elegans is actually found throughout North America east of the Rocky Mountains.  Despite this fact, however, I had never seen one before!   It's wonderful to know that just when you think you've learned it all, something new comes along to delight you.


Sidenote:  while researching this plant, I came across a website that I would highly recommend:  MushroomExpert.Com 

Definitely check out the Stinkhorn Hall of Fame 
You will be AMAZED!

6 comments:

Linda Makiej said...

simply wonderful!!! :)

Vicki said...

How neat!!! I lived in Ohio until I was in my 30's, and now live in Florida. I miss Ohio very much!
Here's My Photo

bethnbijoux said...

Hi Linda! First, I must tell you that I adore your profile pic! When these first popped up, I was quite taken aback! I thought it was an alien coming out of the ground - ha!

bethnbijoux said...

Hello Vicki! My brother now lives in Atlanta and tells me he does not miss Ohio at all. However, I am like you. I would miss the change of seasons. I do love the ocean, though, and I would not mind a Florida escape for the entire month of February!

JO said...

oh wow... very interesting...

~ Jo's Precious Thoughts ~

bethnbijoux said...

Hi Jo :) Welcome to the blog and thank you for stopping by! Isn't Mother Nature something else? I mean, I could not have imagined these - and I have a pretty vivid imagination - ha!!